Day 138 – 140.  Days 6&7 post op

I’m home! What a relief. Although not without a little stress. We’d booked a ‘mobility taxi’, one that I could just step into and the taxi company sent a normal car. The driver wasn’t very pleased when he was told that I couldn’t get in it. More phone calls and eventually a London taxi was sent (not all the way from London) and I was able to get into it very easily. I had told the driver to drive like my granny and not Lewis Hamilton and he was absolutely superb, avoiding bumps where possible and driving very slowly over speed bumps. 

I cannot tell you how nice it was to step through that front door. 

For me, time to relax and take it easy, for Paula, the hard work starts now. 

I was sent home only with instructions to keep taking paracetamol for the pain, which actually isn’t too bad and the blood thinning injections I was having whilst in hospital. These I am to administer myself, not difficult and not very painful. To be honest, I’ve had so many needles stuck in me in the last few weeks, a few more won’t do any harm!

Later in the day we had a lovely meal, a rather curious affair with Paula sitting at the table and me standing, sitting is out of the question at the moment. It was nice to be together and get back to a normal routine. 

After that we spent the evening catching up on some tv, me laying on the sofa, I’m going to be doing a lot of that. 

It seems I wasn’t the only one pleased to be home. Within an hour of coming home, Cecil decided he’d quite like to be more active than he had been the entire time I was in hospital!!! Several bag changes later he’d finished his celebrations and I slept quite well. Not easy turning over in bed with a drain still attached and I kept laying on the battery pack for the Pico dressing! 

Yesterday evening I was due back to see the consultant at his clinic for him to remove (I hope) the drain and the Pico dressing. We’d booked another cab to take us and bring us home again. During the day we were aware that there were some local traffic issues – in fact, a crane had decided to fall off of the back of a lorry and the main arterial road was shut all day – so checked with the cab company that the car would be despatched in plenty of time. We were assured all would be well. 

I spent the day laying down in various positions – it’s overrated by the way – all the time trying to keep pressure off of the wound. All in all, I’m not in too much pain so it’s not too bad. 

The wound is not as long as you would think. Just long enough for the surgeon to remove all the bits he needs to and then once complete the area is then completely closed up. That’s that, I now don’t have a rectum or an anus!

My appointment at the clinic was at 1920 so we’d asked for the cab to pick us up at 1830, should be plenty of time. At 1820 we’d not had a text to confirm that the cab had been despatced so I called to check. No, it hadn’t but they would “do their best” to get to us as soon as possible. Great. 

So, plan B was put into action. I’m going to call this the Keystone Cop plan. That is, me laying in the back of Paula’s car!

Well, it was worth a try. 

I climbed in head first then moved onto my side. I had a pillow against the door so that I could rest my head and then just about managed to get my feet in so that Paula could shut the door. 

What a way to travel!!

The whole thing accompanied by laughter and more than a few swear words. 

Anyway I was in the car and we set off. 

We got there in good time and I slowly extricated myself from the car in the car park, heaven knows what anyone would have thought if they’d seen me, not a great advert for the advantages of private health care. 

When we got there we were told that the consultant was running late as he’d got delayed at the NHS hospital anyway and he was stuck in traffic that was still in chaos locally. 

“Take a seat” the receptionist said, everyone’s a comedian. I stood. 

After a while I was taken into a treatment room by the consultant’s nurse, Sally.  A lovely lady. 

She asked me to “expose what you need to expose”, there’s an offer you don’t get every day I thought. 

She removed the Pico dressing and commented that it didn’t seem to have drawn out a lot of fluid, this is good. The consultant came in to have a look at the wound and said he was happy with it. Next was removal of the drain. It had started to leak a little at the drain site and was also pulling a little. When he looked at it he said that it probably felt a little painful and as it wasn’t draining too much he would remove that too. Very relieved. 

The drain hole does not need to be closed but will leak for a few days so this will need to be dressed each day until it stops leaking. The wound itself does not need dressing but he suggested wearing a pad to ‘remind me that the wound is there’. I was tempted to say that I’m unlikely to forget but I get the point. 

It’s all about careful management of the wound now to minimise the risk of it breaking down. So I’ve been given some very sexy elasticsted pants to wear that will keep the pad in place. 

I’m back to see him again on Monday next week for him to check the wound and get the results of the tests they have performed on the bits they’ve removed. This will determine whether I need more chemo or not. 

Paula has kindly ‘volunteered’ to change my dressing each day to save getting a district nurse to come, it should only be for a few days anyway. 

Then it was back into the car (head first et al) and back home. 

A much better nights sleep due to being able to turn over relatively easily with no thoughts of drains and battery packs, I hope will ensue.  

So far, so good, let’s hope it continues. 

Thanks, as always, for reading. 



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s